January 18, 2017

Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup


The frigid winter weather had settled upon us here in western New York, and then we have had a streak of 40 degrees days with rain. It's so weird to go outside in January and not have everything be a blanket of white. I'm not sure how I feel about it.... I don't think I like it though. One thing that I do like though --- SOUP! I think my readers know that I love soup. I also love slow cooker recipes. So I was really pumped to see slow cooker soup as January's Fantastical Food Fight theme! With infant twins in the house, our slow cooker is getting even more use than usual. It's so nice to be able to throw your food in it in the morning and then have your dinner finished, or almost finished when it's time to eat. This soup is delicious, hearty, and very flavorful. It's full of Mexican food flavors, which we really enjoy in our house. This recipe will serve about four people. A side of corn tortilla chips is highly encouraged!


Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup
~1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 green onions, sliced with the greens and whites separated
4 cups chicken stock or broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white rice
1/2 cup frozen corn
4 oz. cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
8 oz. canned mild green chiles
cilantro, for garnish, optional
corn tortilla chips, for serving, optional    

Place the chicken in your slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cumin, coriander, cayenne, garlic, and scallion whites. Whisk together the chicken broth/stock and flour and pour into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, until the soup is thickened and the chicken is falling apart.

Break apart the chicken with two forks. Add the rice, corn, and cream cheese. Continue to cook on high for another 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until the rice is cooked through. Stir well and check for seasoning.

Serve hot topped with the green portions of the green onions and cilantro, if desired. Serve with a side of corn tortillas (or break some apart and garnish your soup with them).


What was I cooking one year ago?: banana chocolate chip cake
Two years ago?: savory onion pie 
Three years ago?: carnitas 
Four? almond pancakes 
Five?: pistachio-orange-cardamom shortbread bars 
Six?: cashew chicken korma 
7?: Matcha tea leaf shortbread cookies
 

21 comments:

  1. I have never made or had enchilada soup...it looks delicious and so simple to prepare in slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We find ourselves constantly hungry in the winter months so totally looking for hearty eats. I love a big pot of something going in the slow cooker and this enchilada soup looks so warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really weird weather here, too. It was really cold a couple of weeks ago. Then warm. Then last week a major ice storm. Now it's going to get into the 50s today. What's going on?! Anyway, January is soup season, so we're having soup (heck, we like soup so much we even have it in the summer). This looks terrific -- love anything I can make in the slow cooker. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! Just the thing for a cold winters evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds lovely. I'm not a huge fan of spicy foods but I love green chiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soup too, and this one looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take mine with a side of tortilla chips please!!! This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love Mexican food and chicken enchiladas are a favorite of my husbands. I am sure he would love this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you have rice in this soup. All of the flavors sound wonderful and I think it'd be a hit around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We make white chicken enchiladas and this sounds like it but in soup form! My family would love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in the Midwest and know what you mean about the weather! It's been chilly and rainy..ugh. This soup looks delicious..love the side of corn chips with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes please....love enchiladas so would definitely love this! Pinning it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've hit a warm spell, but it's dreary and rainy. Your soup would sure brighten my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will say that the cold in NNY was nice only if to enjoy a hot soup for dinner!! I love enchilada and taco style soups - so yummy. Thanks for joining in this month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a storm moving in tomorrow bringing snow and colder temperatures and this spicy rich soup would be the perfect warm me up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amy, this soup sounds delicious, such a delicious combo of flavors. I enjoy cooking with a slow cooker, the house always smells so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, this sounds amazing! Definitely going to make it soon! I've seen a lot of chicken taco/enchilada soups but none quite like this.

    I didn't get to participate in Fantastical Food Fight this month. I recently started a new job and have been very preoccupied with that. My soup ingredients have been sitting in my fridge for a week and a half waiting to be used! I'm still going to make the soup (next week) but won't get to join the little group this time. Hopefully next month will go better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been making a lot of soups lately too. This one sounds great! Perfect for chips on the side too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!